Intermittent fasting (IF) is a way of eating that involves going without food for a while and then eating. It’s not about telling you what foods to eat but more about when you eat.
Instead of a typical diet, it’s more like a way of eating. There are two common types of intermittent fasting: one where you fast for 24 hours twice a week and another where you fast for 16 hours every day. People have been fasting for a long time. Back in the day, early hunters and gatherers didn’t have stores, fridges, or food available all the time. So, there were times when they couldn’t easily find food.
Cajun Spiced Salmon
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 360 grams
This easy-to-make Cajun-flavored salmon is so versatile that you can cook it using various methods like baking, broiling, pan-searing, or grilling. You can whip up this healthy dinner in just 30 minutes. Each serving has 359 calories, 35.4 grams of protein, 21.4 grams of fat, and 9.1 grams of carbohydrates.
For this recipe, you’ll need these ingredients: 3/4 pound of salmon filet, sodium-free taco seasoning, 1/4 head of cauliflower (cut into florets), 1/2 head of broccoli (cut into florets), 1-1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 2 medium tomatoes (diced).
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place the salmon on a baking sheet.
3. Mix the taco seasoning with 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl. Pour this sauce over the salmon and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the fish turns completely opaque.
4. While baking the salmon, use a food processor to blend the broccoli and cauliflower until they resemble “rice,” working in batches if necessary.
5. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the broccoli and cauliflower, cooking for 5 to 6 minutes until they are just tender, and season with garlic powder.
6. Serve by placing the fish and tomatoes on top of the “rice.”
Black Bean Soup
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 328 grams
This easy-to-make black bean soup is both simple and delicious, featuring black beans and common ingredients. It’s a vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly soup. In a single serving, you’ll find 725 calories, 40.9 grams of protein, 14 grams of fat, and 113 grams of carbohydrates.
For this recipe, you’ll need 1-1/2 tablespoons of avocado oil, a small chopped onion, 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin, 2-3 cloves of garlic, one 14 1/2-ounce can of black beans, 1 cup of water, salt, and pepper for seasoning, a small finely chopped red onion, and 2 tablespoons of coarsely chopped cilantro.
1. In a pot, sauté the chopped onion using avocado oil.
2. Once the onion turns transparent, add the ground cumin.
3. Introduce the garlic and cook for an additional 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Add half of the black beans and one cup of water to the pot.
5. Bring it to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
6. Turn off the heat.
7. Use a hand blender to blend the ingredients in the pot or transfer them to a blender.
8. Return the mixture to the pot along with the remaining half of the beans, and heat it to a simmer.
9. Serve the soup, garnished with bowls of cilantro and red onion.
10. You can also add a bit more cilantro for an extra touch of flavor.
Chicken Farro Bowls
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2 Serving Size: 633 grams
This chicken farro bowl recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner, offering a quick, fresh, and simple meal. Each serving of this dish provides 539 calories, 42.4 grams of protein, 30 grams of fat, and 23.3 grams of carbohydrates.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this dish: 1/2 cup of farro, 1-1/2 cups of water, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, 1-1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil, zest from 1/2 a lime, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 2 grated garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 pint of halved cherry tomatoes, 1 cup of chopped cucumber, 1/4 of a sliced red onion, 1 cup of tzatziki sauce (recipe below), 1/4 cup of crumbled Ricotta cheese, lemon wedges for serving, and fresh parsley for garnish (optional).
For the tzatziki sauce, you’ll need 1 cucumber, 1 garlic clove, 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of dried tarragon.
1. Start by rinsing and draining the farro. Then, combine the farro with water and a bit of salt in a pot. Bring it to a boil, and once it’s boiling, let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Make sure to get rid of any extra water.
2. Next, in a large zip bag, put the chicken breasts along with coconut oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Allow it to marinate for at least four hours, or you can leave it overnight.
3. When you’re ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken breasts for about 7 minutes on each side until the inside reaches 165°F. Remove the marinade.
4. After taking the chicken out of the pan, let it rest for five minutes before slicing it.
5. Now, to assemble the Greek bowls, put a layer of farro in your bowl or meal prep container. Add thinly sliced chicken breasts, ricotta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and tzatziki sauce on top. You can also serve it with lemon wedges for extra flavor and some parsley for garnish. Enjoy!
1. Line a big bowl with a paper towel and put the mesh strainer inside.
2. Grate the cucumber and garlic finely using a cheese grater, then get rid of any extra liquid.
3. mix the grated cucumber, garlic, Greek yogurt, salt, lemon juice, and tarragon in a medium bowl.
4. After you’ve mixed everything, chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving.